• Welcome! Would you take a moment to register with us? It's a one-click join with your Facebook, Twitter account or register directly with us. Thank you for your continued support!

Strange ad in this forum

Altavilla

Pro 1
Hi guys,
I keep getting this ad (pic attached) taking me out of the forum. It only happens when i’m browsing this forum and it directs me there out of the blue, without me tapping any banner. I’m using an iPad.
Does anyone knows what’s going on? Could this be some virus?
F3A1CB7B-1751-48D4-B6A8-19260C5395B1.jpeg

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief
I don't speak Portuguese so I have no idea what that says so I can't help you until you say what that says

Altavilla

Pro 1
It’s just some ad for a portuguese company. Some “click here and win a prize” thing. Seems a bit sketchy even for them but it could be. (I don’t plan on clicking on it, just in case.)

The thing that bugs me is how that shows up, directing me to a new page and leaving this forum, without me clicking on anything.
But if it’s important i can translate the whole thing

Altavilla

Pro 1
Btw, said company (Portugal Telecom) has been purchased by another company (Altice) and no longer goes by that that name.
Very weird

I just realized it may be a physhing scheme. The thing is it only happens while I’m using this forum.

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief
I haven't seen or heard of any adds like that before but since it's mentioning a Portuguese company then it's most likely coming from your end

Altavilla

Pro 1
I haven't seen or heard of any adds like that before but since it's mentioning a Portuguese company then it's most likely coming from your end
All banners/ads i see on this forum are portuguese ads. It must locate where i am and choose ads accordingly.

It’s probably a physhing scheme. The company is a now defunct one. If i find anything new I’ll let you know

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief
All banners/ads i see on this forum are portuguese ads. It must locate where i am and choose ads accordingly.

It’s probably a physhing scheme. The company is a now defunct one. If i find anything new I’ll let you know
Ok

AngryOrange

Rookie 1
Staff member
Hi, we looked into this, and your ads that are shown are based on your geo-location. Sometimes these ads aren't permitted by us, but then again, we're US-based so we don't see these Portuguese-language ads to block them in advance.

We have filed a report to remove the reported ad you posted. It's against our forum community policy to show such ads. Thanks for reporting it!

Altavilla

Pro 1
Guys, this happened while I was on vacation and was using a non-secure network. I'm back for the last 20 hours and the problem hasn't present itself again. Maybe that also has something to do with it too.

Thanks for the attention given and for solving it.

Facebook

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoemiChees
New members today
New threads today
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.