• Welcome! Would you take a moment to register with us? It's a one-click join with your Facebook, Twitter account or register directly with us. Thank you for your continued support!

NBA Season Suspended

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief
Tom Hanks said him and his wife have it
Yep and they're stranded in Australia now he has a decent chance of actually dying from it since he's old and has diabetes but he's an A list movie star that was filming a movie he should be fine they will make sure he gets the best care possible but hopefully he'll be ok since he's in that target range of old and unhealthy

Spyda9man

Pro 2
Yep and they're stranded in Australia now he has a decent chance of actually dying from it since he's old and has diabetes but he's an A list movie star that was filming a movie he should be fine they will make sure he gets the best care possible but hopefully he'll be ok since he's in that target range of old and unhealthy
Another reason why I dont care for travel. Keep my butt on the south west.

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief
Another reason why I dont care for travel. Keep my butt on the south west.
What's messed up is people are happy for the cheap flights but they won't when they're trapped in Europe now since the ban takes affect in a couple of days so anyone that took advantage of a cheap flight to mainland Europe better hurry their ass back here before they're stuck there for a month

Spyda9man

Pro 2
What's messed up is people are happy for the cheap flights but they won't when they're trapped in Europe now since the ban takes affect in a couple of days so anyone that took advantage of a cheap flight to mainland Europe better hurry their ass back here before they're stuck there for a month
Psh cheap skates. My coworker went to New York last friday, I kind of have a feeling he wont be back this friday...

Of course take some precautions (some of which of which shouldn't be precautions but rather regular things you do like wash your hands) but it is a predominantly old and/or really unhealthy killer that can't be debated hell of the 37 in the US that have died from it 22 came from the same exact retirement home

It's one thing to be worried but it's way past overboard at this point in all aspects of life because it's being treated as everyone will get it and everyone will die from it at least that's how it's treated in the US by many people when it's far from true

I realise there is a lot of panic, but the virus is growing exponentially and the number of true cases is much higher than the number of confirmed, reported cases. In order to minimalise the fatality rate, there needs to be preventive measures like suspending the NBA, otherwise the situation will get quickly out of hand and the pressure on the health system will be immense. That's not an overreaction. It's the difference between countries that have adequately prepared for the virus and countries that are currently overwhelmed. Young people may only develop mild flu-like symptoms, or even be asymptomatic, but they can still spread the virus and that's what the authorities are fighting against.

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief
Psh cheap skates. My coworker went to New York last friday, I kind of have a feeling he wont be back this friday...
Well if it's just NY he would be fine but if it was say Germany he would be SOL
I realise there is a lot of panic, but the virus is growing exponentially and the number of true cases is much higher than the number of confirmed, reported cases. In order to minimalise the fatality rate, there needs to be preventive measures like suspending the NBA, otherwise the situation will get quickly out of hand and the pressure on the health system will be immense. That's not an overreaction. It's the difference between countries that have adequately prepared for the virus and countries that are currently overwhelmed. Young people may only develop mild flu-like symptoms, or even be asymptomatic, but they can still spread the virus and that's what the authorities are fighting against.
I'm not talking about the NBA being suspended as an overreaction I literally stated the overreaction in the post your quoted what I was saying is that it's treated as an automatic death sentence in all aspects that's the overreaction part yes it can be spread and is spreading but it's not killing everyone that gets it I can't speak for your news coverage but in the US they are scaring a lot of people by treating it as if it has a very high death rate I was fine with them closing the games off to fans but the only reason they suspended the league is because one of their players tested positive for it if that didn't happen they would have voted to just ban fans like the Warriors had to do to the San Francisco ban of any gathering over 1,000 people but they had to skip that part entirely

Btw I don't want to sound insensitive towards it but the situation here in the US is treated as something far worse than it actually is to the point where people are buying up all the hand sanitizer and toilet paper and reselling them for outrageous prices and some stores in NYC charged $80+ for hand sanitizer that usually costs 1/40 of that price claiming a shortage when they really want to make a lot of money out of people's fear

Last edited:

Steve Rogers

Rookie 2
Dont get me wrong guys,but the only place where situation is actually really bad is Italy whith around 12k infected people and around 1k death reported till now by the officials...that almost 10% death rate which is really really bad if you take into consideration that these kind of viruses have beetwen 2-4% death rate
Anyway take care of yourselves guys and dont be a victim of overpanic
Be good fellas

TomH

Pro 2
I don’t want to throw shade on anyone here, but I see it differently than some. Current epidemiological studies show 1/3 (to 1/2 without prudent measures) of US will get this virus. (Most will have a mix of no symptoms to a cough and fever lasting 2 weeks). And that assumes measures like limiting large gatherings will be implemented. The current fatality rate is 3.4%. That is over 4million deaths. Compare annual influenza death of about 30,000. It doesn’t play out over a few weeks, it’s a few months. We have this thing as Americans that tells us I can get past anything, just don’t disrupt my life, cowboy. It’s naive at the very least, iMO. While age, co-morbid illness, and a weakened immune system are risk factors for complications and death, that absolutely doesn't mean only 70+ age or otherwise sick will get the virus or die. Not at all. It’s just a higher risk.

What I don’t agree with is the panic over staples like bottled water and toilet paper. Da ****. This seems to be limited to big box stores. My grocery store has plenty of both. It’s crazy.

This, like most viruses, can’t be “ beaten,” so the only strategies are reduce opportunities for large community transmission and containment.

i choose not to panic, but to have prudent concern. But there is a big difference between panic and taking reasonable measure to reduce opportunities for large scale transmission.

Do I think suspending the season was an overreaction? Maybe. But allowing 17,000 fans to huddle together at a game? That‘s plain stupid.

Last edited:

Anatdoc

All-Star 3
Yup suspension of the season till new cases stop being reported makes complete sense. Definitely not an over reaction after Gobert tested positive. Till it is confirmed that the people involved in a game are healthy doesnt make any sense to give opportunities for transmission (as has happened with mitchell)

Btw I don't want to sound insensitive towards it but the situation here in the US is treated as something far worse than it actually is to the point where people are buying up all the hand sanitizer and toilet paper and reselling them for outrageous prices and some stores in NYC charged $80+ for hand sanitizer that usually costs 1/40 of that price claiming a shortage when they really want to make a lot of money out of people's fear

The same thing happened in Japan. They just passed a law about reselling face masks for profit. The panic buying has subsided here, but life is in a holding pattern and it looks like it will drag on into April.

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief
With the NBA suspended, should NBALM be worried as well, as in temporary stop working on the game?
Well I mentioned that the other day they can put the game in autopilot or work from home but it wouldn't just be this game but every game being worked on in Orlando

dub365

All-Star 1
I don’t want to throw shade on anyone here, but I see it differently than some. Current epidemiological studies show 1/3 (to 1/2 without prudent measures) of US will get this virus. (Most will have a mix of no symptoms to a cough and fever lasting 2 weeks). And that assumes measures like limiting large gatherings will be implemented. The current fatality rate is 3.4%. That is over 4million deaths. Compare annual influenza death of about 30,000. It doesn’t play out over a few weeks, it’s a few months. We have this thing as Americans that tells us I can get past anything, just don’t disrupt my life, cowboy. It’s naive at the very least, iMO. While age, co-morbid illness, and a weakened immune system are risk factors for complications and death, that absolutely doesn't mean only 70+ age or otherwise sick will get the virus or die. Not at all. It’s just a higher risk.

What I don’t agree with is the panic over staples like bottled water and toilet paper. Da ****. This seems to be limited to big box stores. My grocery store has plenty of both. It’s crazy.

This, like most viruses, can’t be “ beaten,” so the only strategies are reduce opportunities for large community transmission and containment.

i choose not to panic, but to have prudent concern. But there is a big difference between panic and taking reasonable measure to reduce opportunities for large scale transmission.

Do I think suspending the season was an overreaction? Yes. But allowing 17,000 fans to huddle together at a game? That‘s plain stupid.
So refreshing to hear a well thought out statement. Meanwhile, the well off, white lady, Fox News watcher actually said the words " Corona hoax" at work this morning. Smfh

Facebook

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoemiChees
New members today
New threads today
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.