• Welcome! Would you take a moment to register with us? It's a one-click join with your Facebook, Twitter account or register directly with us. Thank you for your continued support!

Where will Lebron Play 2018-2019

Where will Lebron Play 2018-2019

• Los Angeles Lakers

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Philadelphia 76ers

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Houston Rockets

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Cleveland Cavaliers

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • San Antonio Spurs

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Boston Celtics

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Golden State Warriors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New York Knicks

• Miami Heat

• Any other Team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief
I think the Rockets will make some magic happen for the 2nd straight off-season

aramwot

Rookie 3
Staff member
Founder
Hoping LA ~ I don?t feel he?d stay with cavs after the team performance in the finals.. Unless he?s really got something to prove with them.

betaman411

All-Star 1
Well, obviously I'm biased being born and raised in NE Ohio. I can tell you that locally, fans are split 50/50 on will he stay or will he go. I consider myself more informed than the average fan since I like to look at the economic implications of his decision and what it would mean to other organizations. My objective guess would be he stays in Cle this time because of his family AND the money. People that say he doesn't "need" the money don't know LeBron James - he's always been about the money and never having been the highest paid player in a league where he's clearly the best player cuts right to the core of his being. Let's also not forget that both he and Chris Paul recently changed the eligible max age for a Super Max contract from 36 to 38. When you couple that with the fact that both of those players will be 38 in the last year of a Super Max (meaning this is the last year either can sign one) as well as Paul saying he won't take a discount, bringing LBJ to Houston would be something just short of a miracle especially when you finally consider the Cavs would have to willingly be part of a trade where LBJ opts into the final year of his current contract (Houston fans can thank Ryan Anderson's contract for missing out this time around much the way Cavs fans lament Tristan Thompson and JR Smith's contracts now). The good news for NBA fans is that we'll know a few days before FA begins if that's even a possibility since he has to opt in by 6/29 and FA starts 7/1.

If he does decided to leave (and I don't think the majority of fans in my area would be too upset considering he delivered the city it's first championship in 52 years), I think Boston or the Lakers are the most likely destinations. Obviously, the former is almost as complicated as the Houston situation but I think Ainge could package one of his stars (Kyrie or Hayward) and a couple picks or one of his up and comers (e.g. Tatum or Brown) in a deal to keep Boston's salary under control as well as give back something better than most others can offer. The only reason Gilbert would entertain a sign and trade is if he feels the team could be competitive (even that's hard to imagine depending on the other pieces) or he doesn't take back any salary as they did in 2010 with Miami. With no large expiring contracts in the mix, this is where it would have to get extremely creative.

I also think that even though LBJ says he's in Championship mode, the reality is that chasing after Kobe or Michael in terms of the number of Championships to preserve his legacy is a long shot at best even if he somehow lands in Houston (the closest contender to GSW in the short term). He has never had a desire to play with young players (sorry Philly) due to their inexperience and his own 1+1 contract status has essentially handcuffed the Cavs from building anything sustainable around him. It truly is a catch 22. On the one hand, LBJ wants to keep pressure on management to spend now but on the other hand, if he leaves because "there isn't enough talent around him" then he may have to take a hard look in the mirror. This is clearly not the same situation as 2010.

One of the other interesting things developing in the NBA is the financial situation in the Bay area. Say what you want about Dan Gilbert (letter in sans comic to LBJ was great for fans at the time but obviously not very professional), but the guy puts his money where his mouth is. LBJ found out that not all owners are willing to spend just because he wants them to spend (i.e. Arison in Miami over $2M in a contract for Mike Miller that would've probably cost him closer to $10M). With Klay and Draymond approaching FA and seemingly unwilling to take pay cuts this time around, an aging Iguodala and a less than stellar support cast compared to 2015 & 2016, I really wonder how long this "dynasty" will last? Obviously, having KD and Steph locked up for a while doesn't hurt but without the benefit of high draft picks, it's tough to build from the bottom like they did previously without going through several years of lottery basketball.

Anyway, as a guy who was very disappointed watching Decision 1.0 on ESPN that fateful night in July 2010, I'll sleep well knowing that I got to witness one of the GOAT's during my lifetime playing for my team.

betaman411

All-Star 1
a lot of text
We need an upvote system for posts like these.
Very good write-up which I agree with almost entirely.

Thanks, appreciate the comment. As stated, being born and raised (as well as currently living) in NE Ohio, I eat, sleep, breathe Cavs, Indians and Browns (in that order). It saddens me a bit to think that others around the country think of us as jersey burning ingrates (fact: one guy burned an LBJ jersey at the behest of a camera guy that said it would make good TV), when really it's one of the best sports towns to live in across the country - passionate fans that will support mediocre teams as long as a (think EA) money grab isn't at play. Just watch how the Browns will be back to sellouts this season (even if they don't win a game AGAIN). The Tribe in the late '90's had 455 consecutive sellouts for BASEBALL. That spanned 6 different seasons and anyone not from here has no idea how cold it can be in early April!

Anyway, I think I already mentioned on this forum that I know JR personally. Before the GSW series I asked him what he thought about LBJ's FA decision and he said he'd sign the Super Max (money play). A couple days ago (before the birth of his daughter) I asked him the same question and his response was he thought he was gone. The irony here is that over the 4 years that I've gotten to know him, JR has literally been wrong about everything. So, when he said he thought he would stay, I was telling close friends that LBJ is bolting for sure. But now that he changed his mind, I guess (combined with my other reasoning above of course) the glass is half full! Haha

Anatdoc

All-Star 3
I'm expecting him to stay too .. more bcz I dont c abt other destination that would put him over the warriors ( unless something like 2010 happens again.. 3 all stars in one place..)
But if he stays I wonder what he has planned. Another season of 82 games( I get why he did it but i dont think he needed to); 45+ minutes in the playoffs to get swept.. doesnt make sense.. I wish he would try a coach who would control him though..

Edit: kawhi asking for a trade [ :( .. spurs fan].. might change everything

betaman411

All-Star 1
I'm expecting him to stay too .. more bcz I dont c abt other destination that would put him over the warriors ( unless something like 2010 happens again.. 3 all stars in one place..)
But if he stays I wonder what he has planned. Another season of 82 games( I get why he did it but i dont think he needed to); 45+ minutes in the playoffs to get swept.. doesnt make sense.. I wish he would try a coach who would control him though..

Edit: kawhi asking for a trade [ :( .. spurs fan].. might change everything

And he supposedly wants to go to Lakers. PG13, Kawhi AND LBJ is intriguing. Lakers give up Ingram or Kuzma in that scenario. Only problem I see is Kawhi and PG play similar position. LBJ could play 1 or 4. I could see him forcing a Lonzo trade as well so as not to have to deal with Lavar. Haha

betaman411

All-Star 1
Good article on this whole LA thing. Sounds great until you realize LA is left with a bunch of vet min contracts to fill out their roster.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2018/06/does_kawhi_leonards_situation.html

aramwot

Rookie 3
Staff member
Founder
Good article on this whole LA thing. Sounds great until you realize LA is left with a bunch of vet min contracts to fill out their roster.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2018/06/does_kawhi_leonards_situation.html

Your posts and that article are a great read - thanks for your insights.

yalahat

Rookie 1
come on guys no one thinks he is going to 76ers

I really don't think the 76rs need him, actually. Fultz got a triple double in the last game of the season... if he can shoot 3s again next year, they will have a TOP PG, Simmons can move to 3, you have Reddick and Saric... That's a pretty good starting five.

I guess LeBron will either go to LA, or stay in Cleveland and change everything again. Maybe he will try to recruit PG13 to the Cavs, instead of going to LA. The most important things about Lakers / Rockets: They're in the West. There's no way Lebron is going to that jungle in his year 16.

Hetzer

Rookie 1
If Lebron go to the 76ers it will be interesting to see the changes in Ben Simmons' play style.
Lebron has a tendency to turn players around him into spot up shooters(Not saying it's a bad thing) and obviously Ben Simmons can't do that.

betaman411

All-Star 1
If Lebron go to the 76ers it will be interesting to see the changes in Ben Simmons' play style.
Lebron has a tendency to turn players around him into spot up shooters(Not saying it's a bad thing) and obviously Ben Simmons can't do that.
This is why Charles Barkley (and myself) don't think he will go to Philly. Too many ball dominant players...look what happened in OKC this year. That's also why a triumvirate of Kawhi, PG13 and LBJ isn't a great option for LA - not to mention they need to trade for one of those players which means giving up some good young talent. If I'm a Philly fan, I'm all in on trying to get PG13 or Kawhi vs. LBJ. Either of those guys is a much better fit with that team as constructed and they need to keep an eye on what's happening in Boston.

There's a local report here that says LBJ is trying to recruit players to Cle and if he's unsucessful then he will leave. My only issue with this (besides the fact that LBJ has never really recruited anyone before) is that the players have no control over the situation EXCEPT in LA. No other team has cap room to sign two max players so all of this talk about players recruiting each other is just fodder (e.g. Chris Paul trying to recruit LBJ to Houston). I love how the media tries to spin these headlines into stories that literally have no merit whatsoever.

I was arguing with a friend about this yesterday. Let's say LBJ calls PG13, Kawhi and CP3 and they ALL want to come to Cle to play with him. What does any of that matter unless they're willing to sign veteran minimum contracts or play for the MLE (mid-level player exception worth about 5-6M)? They can't force their respective teams to trade them to Cle where assets are light. And I don't see any of those guys taking a pay cut. At this point, LBJ should be burning up the phone lines for the likes of JJ Redick or heck, even Rudy Gay. These are guys that have made money in their career and might be willing to take a pay cut to play for a Championship.

It's hilarious to me to read headlines that Chris Paul is actually more concerned about recruiting LBJ to Houston than his own contract situation. Even if CP3 signs for the vet min (which he already said he wants a Super Max deal), Houston can't sign a max deal to any FA. Let's assume they find someone dumb enough to take Ryan Anderson's contract and they re-sign Capela to a "fair" deal, they still can't do it even with CP3 taking the vet min. So basically, they need to dump Anderson and let Capela walk to make that happen. Would any Rockets fan be excited about bringing another ball dominant player to their team that was basically a healthy Chris Paul away from beating the Warriors in 6? Let's not forget about Trevor Ariza either. He will be looking to cash in as well so that team in theory could add LBJ but would have to give up Capela and Ariza to do so and then would be in salary cap hell for the next 3-5 years with an aging Paul and LBJ.

Facebook

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoemiChees
New members today
New threads today
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.