• Welcome! Would you take a moment to register with us? It's a one-click join with your Facebook, Twitter account or register directly with us. Thank you for your continued support!

Showdown season3 discussions - end of the eight season and the start of the ninth season

edlllpt

Pro 1
Talk about memorable quarters, final results, season ending pulls, your doubts, issues, goals, desires or concerns related to showdown at the start of the ninth season.

edlllpt

Pro 1
I ended 986th 2,024,862. One win less and I would have been out of the top1000.

I have no goals for next season after this xD

Anatdoc

All-Star 3
2.029 946
Had a few +20 quarters agst similar ovr
Revelation of this showdown was 84 klay .. won whatever matches i did with him and occasional great quarters by kawhi. I havent been beat by the opponent badly too many times.. maybe just a 3-4 quarters where they had +15 over me..

I finished 453 with 2.076M fans.

It was my first time to reach Legend on the global server having played last year's Showdown on the Asia server. I guess I showed I can hang with the big boys. I hadn't done any grinding since the Harden campaign so it was fresh for me. I had a slump during Superstar II but after that I was fine. The last hour of the boost was crazy but once our lineups returned to normal Legend was no harder than any of the other tiers.

I woke up early this morning and did as much grinding as I could before work. I kept checking back in throughout the day and was surprised by how little ground I'd lost but when I finally got off work with about an hour and a half to go, I had fallen to 840. I lost my first couple of quarters and feel to 893. That made me sweat a bit. I managed to string together a series of unconvincing wins and 50-60k worth of fans propelled me into the top 500. It was almost 100k per win which is crazy.

I faced every type of quarter imaginable. I guess my most memorable win was 22-0 vs. 10-9. I was really impressed with an 81 OVR guy I played in Legend. I don't know if he was tanking his bench but if he was a legit 81 he must be pretty good to make it that far.

The thing that stood out most to me was that the grindability of the Halloween promo meant that f2p players like me were only 1 OVR lower than guys who had spent $300 bucks on their team. I'm sure the OVR gap will increase in the future but the elite-trade in sets gave us the means to compete with the p2w guys.

I also felt the increased stamina had an impact on the season. I know I was able to capitalize on it.

No interest in grinding SD this week. I have a busy week coming up and I am looking forward to a break from the grind.

JonSnowMo

Rookie 1
#147 with 2.185M
I hated the boost during Halloween and things got much better afterwards, bought D Rose and he's been great that I might keep him and sell kyrie but I'll wait and keep both for now.
-It's good that there aren't new cards in next season as I really need a break from SD

betaman411

All-Star 1
I think I finished 810 with 1.040M. The last hour is well chronicled here.

The grind was "easy" until it wasn't. Absolutely crazy the last couple hours with how many people were bunched together and the impact a couple thousand fans made. I abandoned the +8 coach boost pretty early on and stuck with Brett Brown for the 12%. Makes a difference I think.

Beating some 91's (as an 89) as well as several 86's and a 87 convincingly as an 85 has me wondering wtf EA is thinking. As Commondjapan points out, guys who spent $100's on their team and losing to lower OVR's can't be in their best interest. I suspect this week will have the P2W's back on track while we F2P's sit out SD.

edlllpt

Pro 1
at this rate I guess we'll never know who are the players with SD cards of 82/83 ovr :roll:

any idea what was the price of the cheapest legend the hour before it was attatched to the SD bonus?

I went to Oladipo as Sprewell's boost expired but Klay was too good in contested shots in AI. I was also like 3-9 in the final-push-quarters, all close matches, and it was nerve-racking

I had a tough time against the 86/87, so even if it was just 1 ovr of difference to some big spenders it looked like a heavy advantage this time.

I also didn't like the boosting days, but well, at least we could dunk without the usual uncertainty.

Besides a 27-15 that i posted earlier and the 3-0 16%-tie, the other notable quarter was a 20-21 loss. I guess you can tell I didn't play too much defense there

Also, I'm almost thankful for EA making one of the legends event a stamina drainer. It probably helped my top1000 spot in comparison to people who tried the event xD

Meanwhile on gameplay, I've something I've never seen before. a 16% lay-up with AD, around the 3pt line in the wing. I just wanted a quick good jump shot off a catch and got that absurd shot instead.

But well, even despite the absurd, I guess it's good to find something new in gameplay that is being pretty much the same for a while.

On a positive note on gameplay - it's rare, but sometimes the game actually switches to the right player for an offensive rebound and in a 1-1 being able to box out the opponent and get the rebound for a tip-in is great. Did that 2 or 3 times this season with Wilt and felt like the highlight of the season

Anatdoc

All-Star 3
Anyone else have problems with ur pg going ro the wings on defence and having to switch back .. its auch a pain as when i switch the ai pg passes out to sg...
Also noticed a small change after the last update.. the players tend to make pass and shoot 3s from 'curry' range a little more than before..
Ya got a FEW offensive rebounds/putbacks.. like u said very rare.. usually agst lower ovrs.. rare agst same ovr and never agst higher.. 99% they are statutes.. though wilt has been killing it on the defensive end

betaman411

All-Star 1
During the boost era, I had a few amazing blocks with Wallace. I'm talking LBJ in the 2016 Finals amazing. Several chase downs but also coming across the lane and swatting it off the backboard. One went to mid-court!

I've been lazy of late and using auto switch defense. Getting tired of the double teams though and the AI passing to the open guy for a wide open 3. The auto switching seems to lag quite a bit especially on rebounds. Having said that, I don't like the new buttons so having a 3rd would be problematic as I have a hard enough time making sure I hit the guard button!

EDIT: For those interested, my Kyrie sold a little while ago for the 1.3M bin. I may have left some coin on the table but all in all not a bad payday for a week's worth of grinding. Inching closer to 4M.

X020179

Pro 1
at this rate I guess we'll never know who are the players with SD cards of 82/83 ovr :roll:

any idea what was the price of the cheapest legend the hour before it was attatched to the SD bonus?

I went to Oladipo as Sprewell's boost expired but Klay was too good in contested shots in AI. I was also like 3-9 in the final-push-quarters, all close matches, and it was nerve-racking

I had a tough time against the 86/87, so even if it was just 1 ovr of difference to some big spenders it looked like a heavy advantage this time.

I also didn't like the boosting days, but well, at least we could dunk without the usual uncertainty.

Besides a 27-15 that i posted earlier and the 3-0 16%-tie, the other notable quarter was a 20-21 loss. I guess you can tell I didn't play too much defense there

Also, I'm almost thankful for EA making one of the legends event a stamina drainer. It probably helped my top1000 spot in comparison to people who tried the event xD

Meanwhile on gameplay, I've something I've never seen before. a 16% lay-up with AD, around the 3pt line in the wing. I just wanted a quick good jump shot off a catch and got that absurd shot instead.

But well, even despite the absurd, I guess it's good to find something new in gameplay that is being pretty much the same for a while.

On a positive note on gameplay - it's rare, but sometimes the game actually switches to the right player for an offensive rebound and in a 1-1 being able to box out the opponent and get the rebound for a tip-in is great. Did that 2 or 3 times this season with Wilt and felt like the highlight of the season

Saw a Tiny Archibald for 1m as well as a Karl Malone

I fared pretty well against higher OVR opponents. I even had a winning record against 90 and 91 OVR teams. It didn't seem to me that they had much of an advantage at least not at my fan count. I'm not sure what's happening higher up the leaderboard. I do wonder at times if that shit is legit.

Gameplay wise, I felt the best way to combat the AI's swc was to challenge the shot early. I became quite aggressive at this as the season progressed. If you wait for the AI to initiate contact then you have to time your block perfectly to stop them from scoring but if you challenge earlier then you often force a miss.

I also had a few occasions where the double team produced a steal. I always like that. I also love when the ball goes loose and rolls toward the opposition basket and you manage to scoop it up before it goes out of bounds and get the easy bucket. There were a couple of instances where I accidentally triggered drive animations when I was trying to hit corner threes. The type of drive animations that the AI always does. That was pretty cool although not what I wanted to do. I also made a perimeter defender fall on his ass in one game and shot an open three like James Harden. He was trying to close out but I kept faking like I was going to drive and he tripped and fell.

There was the odd moonwalk too. But mostly AI cheese. Lots and lots of AI cheese.

There was the odd moonwalk too.
But mostly AI cheese. Lots and lots of AI cheese.

Is this the moonwalk you were talking about (after the shot, sorry Kawhi lol)

https://imgur.com/a/m3qjWbM

That crossover was beautiful.

Haha I didn't expect that at all, was quite the sequence with Paul doing a 1 footed slide. I'm noticing there are certain times the AI will try to reach in and if you're not careful they will take the ball and be off to the races. If I was a bit slower he gets the steal, for sure.

edlllpt

Pro 1
Gameplay wise, I felt the best way to combat the AI's swc was to challenge the shot early. I became quite aggressive at this as the season progressed. If you wait for the AI to initiate contact then you have to time your block perfectly to stop them from scoring but if you challenge earlier then you often force a miss.

I also made a perimeter defender fall on his ass in one game and shot an open three like James Harden. He was trying to close out but I kept faking like I was going to drive and he tripped and fell.

Yeah that's my way to approach swc as well. the closer the contact is to the basket, the higher likelihood of going in, I think.

and I also saw Scary Terry playing the role of Wesley Johnson in a play like that :D

Meanwhile, if some of these look like the defender flopping, I had a play where the AI was pushing me in animation that ends with an offensive foul, but the ref didn't blow the whistle this time!

I also had one of these, but of the type that originates a defensive foul, also not being called , so I think it ended even :lol:

Advancing to this week, are you guys going for daily objectives only, or whenever the events are played, you're still using stamina there?

I'm sticking with daily-objectives-only for now.

During the boost era, I had a few amazing blocks with Wallace. I'm talking LBJ in the 2016 Finals amazing. Several chase downs but also coming across the lane and swatting it off the backboard. One went to mid-court!

I've been lazy of late and using auto switch defense. Getting tired of the double teams though and the AI passing to the open guy for a wide open 3. The auto switching seems to lag quite a bit especially on rebounds. Having said that, I don't like the new buttons so having a 3rd would be problematic as I have a hard enough time making sure I hit the guard button!

EDIT: For those interested, my Kyrie sold a little while ago for the 1.3M bin. I may have left some coin on the table but all in all not a bad payday for a week's worth of grinding. Inching closer to 4M.

Just now saw this post. Definitely a great move to sell what you did, to be getting close to 4M!! That's awesome. I remember you said you were gonna try to grind to Legend this week without the bonus...I have someone in league trying to do the same. I said no way I'd try even as an 86 lol. Still need damned near 30 wins a day, no thanks.

How's the grind going for you so far? It's definitely possible especially since there's no other promo to do and would definitely be worth it for an 85 card.

betaman411

All-Star 1

Just now saw this post. Definitely a great move to sell what you did, to be getting close to 4M!! That's awesome. I remember you said you were gonna try to grind to Legend this week without the bonus...I have someone in league trying to do the same. I said no way I'd try even as an 86 lol. Still need damned near 30 wins a day, no thanks.

How's the grind going for you so far? It's definitely possible especially since there's no other promo to do and would definitely be worth it for an 85 card.
4.2M and counting now...

As for SD, I was much more optimistic about this week's tourney before they changed the awards description. I'm SS I right now and with no bonus it's a little depressing to gain no ground if you lose 3 or 4 in a row. The penalty for losses is severe with no game bonus. I just can't stomach spending 1.5M on a player I'd never use (Tiny A for example). And then it's 2M for Ewing...forget the store bought Legends as they rarely show up in the AH and if so, they're immediately sniped. So much for Brian saying they were going to make Legends more achievable... :roll:

Facebook

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoemiChees
New members today
New threads today
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.