• Welcome! Would you take a moment to register with us? It's a one-click join with your Facebook, Twitter account or register directly with us. Thank you for your continued support!

[Poll] Manual or Auto-Switch Defense

Do you prefer to use the Manual defense or the Auto-switch defense?

• Manual

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Auto-switch

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
Good day all,

I guess it's a popular time for polling, and was curious about which type of defense you prefer: the manual switching, or the auto switching. If you can, please leave comments as to how you voted and any other experiences you have in this matter.

I voted auto-switch because in my experience I've found that the most effective for me to use. I've seen it said many times that manual is better and can save time and allows you to play better defense but every time I've switched to manual it's a disaster. With auto-switch I usually have a good idea of how to control the AI when doubling (just release the guard button and they leave) but with the manual it's like my entire defense goes haywire. I'll guard the ball and immediately my teammate will come for no reason. I'll get him to leave but then something else crazy happens that screws the entire possession lol. It happens much more than with auto switch so I just stick to auto switch.

I've always used auto-switch. The only complaint I have about it is that it doesn't switch fast enough, so if the opposition pg drives past you, you have almost zero chance of switching to your c in time.

Manual of course. Using Auto-Switch Defense is like riding a bike with training wheels. So much potential wasted. Ai was killing me at rebounds when I played auto defense ages ago.

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief
Auto switch has always been the only choice I hate when I wipe the game's data or uninstall then reinstall to fix an issue with the game and I jump into a game forgetting to turn auto switch off making my defense play like shit until I change it

Auto switch has always been the only choice I hate when I wipe the game's data or uninstall then reinstall to fix an issue with the game and I jump into a game forgetting to turn auto switch off making my defense play like shit until I change it

You definitely sound like you strongly dislike the auto switch lol. I feel the same way about the manual, lol. I actually WANT to use manual switch, but it's always a trainwreck when I do it, but when I am on auto switch I command the defense how I wish about 85-90% of the time. There's always those few times where it's like my whole team is on some bad drugs lol.

Do you have any tips off the top of your head for using the manual switch? I definitely see the value in being able to switch when you want, and maybe even switch to grab rebounds yourself (although most times I get rebounds just fine on auto-switch, i just jump even if I'm no where near the ball and everyone else follows suit lol)

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief

You definitely sound like you strongly dislike the auto switch lol. I feel the same way about the manual, lol. I actually WANT to use manual switch, but it's always a trainwreck when I do it, but when I am on auto switch I command the defense how I wish about 85-90% of the time. There's always those few times where it's like my whole team is on some bad drugs lol.

Do you have any tips off the top of your head for using the manual switch? I definitely see the value in being able to switch when you want, and maybe even switch to grab rebounds yourself (although most times I get rebounds just fine on auto-switch, i just jump even if I'm no where near the ball and everyone else follows suit lol)

It's second nature at this point so to me it's just moving to stay in front of the ball handler like playing defense on a console game just hold the button that would be for intense defense (defense button)

Drowzy

Rookie 1
I think the game was meant to favor those using manual defense, it wasnt easy for me to get it at first, but when i did i noticed so many advantages, first of all my defenders no longer double teamed leaving an opposition player open, then switching players once AI makes passes leads to the random steal, which happens quite a good number of times and then when AI player gets past his defender, auto never switches fast enough to the last man, but with manual you can quickly switch to him and go for the block..i have to say i used auto for very long but after switching to manual my defensive game improved so much that i could never imagine using auto again.

During the times I tried manual, I definitely remember getting those "random steals" but it just seemed like I was doing a lot of work just to fix my teammates a lot of the time. When I'm on auto I somehow don't have much trouble switching most times. I'll see if I can upload some examples.

cire2245

Rookie 3
Already forgot that there is an auto-switch option. I thought auto switch is just for beginners but maybe if you master the use of it you can maximize its benefits. Will give it a try and see.

Already forgot that there is an auto-switch option. I thought auto switch is just for beginners but maybe if you master the use of it you can maximize its benefits. Will give it a try and see.

This is just an example...

https://imgur.com/a/mhrk6iY

This was against another 85 in SD. I have to fight the urge to reach or AD will blow by me for the dunk lol. I have no problem switching at all this possession, and eventually getting the stop. Obviously all possessions don't go this well (when the AI decides it's in God mode what can you really do?) but this is an average defensive possession for me, minus the block at the end. Those are common, but I wouldn't say it's average for me. Usually I have no problem staying in front of the defender as long as I don't do a poorly timed reach, and I often force the opp to miss. Getting the defensive rebound is sometimes the hardest part of course, and is super hit or miss. Has been a lot of hit lately, though.

Drowzy

Rookie 1

This is just an example...

https://imgur.com/a/mhrk6iY

This was against another 85 in SD. I have to fight the urge to reach or AD will blow by me for the dunk lol. I have no problem switching at all this possession, and eventually getting the stop. Obviously all possessions don't go this well (when the AI decides it's in God mode what can you really do?) but this is an average defensive possession for me, minus the block at the end. Those are common, but I wouldn't say it's average for me. Usually I have no problem staying in front of the defender as long as I don't do a poorly timed reach, and I often force the opp to miss. Getting the defensive rebound is sometimes the hardest part of course, and is super hit or miss. Has been a lot of hit lately, though.
With manual switch, Thompson likely would've stolen that ball, also using auto switch well depends on AI movement, certain moves guarantee a double team, nothing like being totally in control..

With manual switch, Thompson likely would've stolen that ball, also using auto switch well depends on AI movement, certain moves guarantee a double team, nothing like being totally in control..

I'm definitely tempted to force myself to use manual more because more steals sounds quite tempting...

Here's another example of auto switch: https://imgur.com/a/0XBj8rA

I like to pressure in the backcourt when possible to get those steals from cutting the PG off....definitely hit or miss and causes the AI to pass to the trailing big man more times than not which can be trouble.

Wind up with Jokic switched on to CP3 but don't allow a score and manage the rebound. AD decides he wants to guard CP3 with me which is usually when I release the guard button and AD goes and finds his assignment.

bdking112

Rookie 1

Same here bro! I cannot tell you how many times I've done that. :lol:

I find auto switching to work best for me. I have no issues stealing the ball and I find it more efficient at staying in front of the offensive player. I've seen people use manual switching that don't do a good job at this and others that do a great job. I'd suggest people experiment with both and find what works best for them. I tried manual for about 3 months and didn't do as well as with auto switching. I usually don't give up more than 2-6 points so personally it works for me.

ramizi

Rookie 2
I tried both throughout the S2.
I measured my SD results on 50 games & found no conclusive result.
Therefore, I mostly use auto-switching, it is just easier.
From time to time, usually when I fall into a loosing streak I change back & see if it helps.

betaman411

All-Star 1
Did they ever fix the controls for manual switch? Where you could slide over switch instead of pressing it? I used manual in season 1 but switched to auto when they changed the controls in s2.

Facebook

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoemiChees
New members today
New threads today
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.