• Welcome! Would you take a moment to register with us? It's a one-click join with your Facebook, Twitter account or register directly with us. Thank you for your continued support!

2018 NBA Draft Review

TrueHawks

Rookie 1
What do you guys think about this year's draft? Can be for your team or as a whole.

Personally, I was really hyped for this year's draft, then the Hawks pulled a move only an Atlanta team could. Doncic was a franchise PG in my mind. Meanwhile, Schlenk seems to be trying to put together the Walmart Warriors: Trae Young (knockoff Steph), Josh Huerter (cheap Klay), and Omari Spellman (Draymond type I guess). 3 guys who can shoot but lack the ability to defend at the NBA level. Then in the 2nd round, we gave up our 2nd rounder when we could've taken a guy I think is going to be one of the steals of the draft in Khyri Thomas. I'm so disappointed.

We better get something good from Dennis and Baze when we trade them.

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief
Doncic isn't a PG he lacks the athleticism he is a SG with passing ability but I hated that the Bulls got Carter after failing to trade up for JJJ or Bamba because Carter isn't an elite defender down low which is exactly what they need with a PF like Markkanen and the comparisons of Carter to Horford are legit which I hate because Horford while he's good he's got outstanding at anything and is rather boring to watch whereas the elite defense of JJJ and Bamba is exciting to watch and while they have lower floors they have MUCH higher ceilings

Not related to my point but all the Bamba to Gobert comparisons pissed me off because Bamba is an elite athlete (3.04 second 3/4 court sprint time which is faster then Westbrook's and Wall's) with shooting ability while Gobert has neither of those things and then Billups compared JJJ to Noah (a player that couldn't shoot for shit) and I had to question why Billups was brought on as an analyst for the draft show on ESPN if he is going to make idiotic comparisons like that

SAVAGE21_NBA

Rookie 3
this years draft was good according to me but some things happened which i wasnt expecting like trae young to atlanta and michael porter jr drafted after 10 picks

betaman411

All-Star 1
I feel for the Hawks fans. Kinda like watching the Browns draft.

As for the Cavs, I was sure they would take a flyer on MPJ. I didn't see much of Sexton so can't really comment but when the owner 1005589855659806726[/MEDIA]]makes a tweet during a draft workout and that same owner is heavily involved in team operations, it really wasn't a surprise. Either way, no rookie in this draft is going to impact LBJ's decision on FA. I think it's down to LA or staying home and the former just depends on what happens with the other FA's.

I love how media hyped this draft to be the "wild wild west". Didn't quite live up to that billing but I expect we'll see some movement of these guys once FA starts.

Alekk

Rookie 2
Feels like every 2nd round pick your team drafts is called "a steal" so I can't say I know much whoever the Rockets drafted.
Also Hawks took a massive L, but maybe it will work out or not.

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief
Feels like every 2nd round pick your team drafts is called "a steal" so I can't say I know much whoever the Rockets drafted.
Also Hawks took a massive L, but maybe it will work out or not.

I do way more scouting on players then most people and the criticism on Young isn't completely justified because while he does have Curry comparisons a lot of people who don't closely follow a draft and the prospects yearly tend to see the comparison as a college vs NBA comparison so they let what Curry has done in the NBA blind them the comparisons come from what Curry looked like coming out of Davidson (high volume scorer with a high workload running a team by themselves, turnover prone due to no help offensively, and weak defensively) not what Curry has done since I had to explain to some moron that was on IG that said "comparisons are dumb these college players aren't as good as these NBA stars or HoFers" because a lot of people let what that player (that the prospect is compared to) has done in the NBA blind them

Btw not saying you're blinded by it just saying that it is a very common for it to happen oddly enough way more so in the NBA circle then the NFL one

TrueHawks

Rookie 1
I watched Young at Oklahoma and Doncic at Real Madrid.
I couldn't help but think I was watching a special player when I saw Luka. He has that 6th sense as a playmaker, and that's not something you can teach. He made everyone around him better. His ceiling is Manu Ginobelli with LeBron's passing ability.
I never felt that watching Trae. Pulling up from anywhere inside of the half court line for a 3 has only ever translated into the NBA for one player, and that's Steph. Not to mention, he only led the NCAA in assists because the better part of the year, teams were double and triple teaming him. Not to mention his finishing around the rim isn't that great.
I'm really rooting for Trae, don't get me wrong, but I'm really worried about this draft. 3 shooters with little defensive prowess is a little scary to me, I prefer guys who are 2 way players.

betaman411

All-Star 1
I couldn't help but think I was watching a special player when I saw Luka. He has that 6th sense as a playmaker, and that's not something you can teach. He made everyone around him better. His ceiling is Manu Ginobelli with LeBron's passing ability.
I never felt that watching Trae. Pulling up from anywhere inside of the half court line for a 3 has only ever translated into the NBA for one player, and that's Steph. Not to mention, he only led the NCAA in assists because the better part of the year, teams were double and triple teaming him. Not to mention his finishing around the rim isn't that great.
I'm really rooting for Trae, don't get me wrong, but I'm really worried about this draft. 3 shooters with little defensive prowess is a little scary to me, I prefer guys who are 2 way players.
Me too and personally I think the big guys in this draft were a much better bet than some of these undersized SG's and PG's.

Stewie309

NBA Legend
Staff member
Community Chief

Well actually his stats got worse when he was double a triple teamed but no need to worry about Huerter and Spellman because they won't be getting a shot ton of playing time unless they prove they deserve it but Young and Collins on the pick and roll will be pretty fun they just can't let what happened at Oklahoma happen again he needs help because outside of Niese (who could disappear a lot) he had 0 help

Facebook

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoemiChees
New members today
New threads today
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.